How to Keep Your Sanity

Photo courtesy of: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/work-stress.aspx

Being in PA school can be stressful. Especially when you're trying to manage your classes and your personal life. Sometimes it will feel like things will never let up, especially with all the tests, presentations, and assignments thrown your way.

In order to keep your sanity through this very hectic year, you have to find ways to de-stress.

First, you actually have to acknowledge that you are feeling stressed so you can do something about it.

- Get a gym membership! One of the first things I did was look for a gym. I try to go to the gym 3-5 days/week, but sometimes that is difficult if I have a lot of tests. Working out is a great way to relieve stress and boost your mood with the release of endorphins.  

Pick a day to relax and not think about school. I don't necessarily have a day because I do it throughout the week. I don't study past 9pm; because I stop retaining the information at that point. So if I'm not tired my "Netflix & Chill mode" kicks in. Other nights I'm usually in bed around this time.

Make sure to get some rest. Studying is important, but so is your sleep.

If cooking, cleaning, or baking soothes you, do that!

If you have the time and want to spend a few hours on the phone or FaceTime, call your friends/family and catch up on each other lives.

And when you decide to make time for the things you enjoy, don't beat yourself up about it later with thoughts like, "I wasted so much time when I could've been studying" I'm guilty of this sometimes. You took a much needed brain break and now you're ready to tackle your work again. Remember, you are investing in yourself and didactic year doesn't last forever :)

"Relax. Refresh. Recharge"

Photo courtesy of: http://www.picturequotes.com/stress-quotes

No comments :

Post a Comment