Meet Nicole B, PA-S

Meet Nicole B. 27 year old PA student at SUNY Downstate in Brooklyn, NY. First generation Haitian and Guyanese and first generation college graduate. She completed her undergraduate in 2012 at Binghamton University and worked as a phlebotomist and clinical research study assistant in Gynecologic Medical Oncology prior to PA school.
Why PA?
I debated between PA and medical school for quite some time. The PA field appealed to me so much more because of the flexibility of the career. The medicine-based training and the teamwork aspect also seemed like a perfect match. Most PAs I've come across had a similar internal debate and are very happy with their decision. PAs have a higher quality of life. There are so many opportunities for PAs, and the shorter length of school and ability to switch specialties appealed to me as well, as I have so many interests in medicine. I personally feel as though the PA field is the perfect mix of medicine and intimate patient care.

Do you have any study tips for PA students?
I recommend studying every single day. Take frequent breaks and study with those who have strengths in areas where you have weaknesses.

Most challenging class and why?
I just started my second semester of PA school, but I'd say Gross Anatomy, where we dissected and learned the entire human body in 10 weeks.

How do you deal with stress?
Stress is a daily part of PA school! Between weekly exams, daily studying, and hours of class time, its a lot to balance. For me, dealing with stress is something I am still working on and depends on each semester and the work load. I am really close with my family, thankfully they aren't too far away from where I'm at school. It's important that friends and family understand that PA school is a real commitment and are supportive because sometimes they can add onto the stress. Family time or even catching up on Grey's Anatomy or cooking with my friends/classmates is a great break from the stress.

What's a good resource that you've found helpful so far?
NetAnatomy, YouTube videos, and especially Netter's Atlas was golden for gross anatomy!

Best experience in PA school so far?
I'd say the professors at SUNY Downstate and the friends I've made. It's always great to meet like-minded strong individuals who worked hard to get to this point. The professors are brilliant and so personable, and they want to see you succeed.

Advice for pre-PA students
Never give up and don't let anyone deter you from reaching your goal of getting into PA school! It personally took me a few application cycles to get into school. Always be open to learning. When things get rough, remember the end goal! Keep the faith and be your number one advocate :)

For more on Nicole, you can find her on IG: @neecmeows

No comments :

Post a Comment