Meet Tamara, PA-C

Meet Tamara! A 2008 graduate from Barry University (Miami Shores) PA Program. She has worked in Women's Health since graduation. 

Why PA?
I've always known that I wanted a career in healthcare, but after shadowing a PA in high school, I knew that being a physician assistant would be the best fit for me. I love the fact that most PAs have a good work/life balance and that we have the ability to change specialties without requiring additional schooling.

Did you face any adversities or challenges during the process?
I moved from Oklahoma to Miami, FL for PA school, where I didn't know anyone, which was a difficult transition; thankfully, I quickly developed friendships with classmates so they, along with friends and family from home, became my support system, encouraging me through the process.

How long did it take to find your 1st job after graduation?
I interviewed for positions during my last semester of PA school and accepted a position even before I graduated. I finished school in December, took my PANCE the following week and started working a week after I got my results.

How long have you been practicing? What specialty are you currently working in? How did you choose it?
I've been practicing for 9 years, but working in my current specialty for 8. I started in general gynecology, but currently work in Urogynecology (Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery). FPMRS is a surgical sub-specialty that treats women with complex pelvic floor disorders. Some of the common problems I treat include urinary incontinence or leakage, pelvic organ prolapse (dropping of the vagina, uterus, cystocele, rectocele), and overactive bladder. The physicians that I work with are all fellowship trained in FPMRS. I stumbled upon Urogynecology when I was looking to leave my first job; I had never heard of the specialty until that time. The physicians that I work with have always been great teachers and the patient population we serve made me fall in the love with this field of medicine. It is especially fulfilling because these are often problems that women are either embarrassed to talk to their primary physician about or they think it is a "normal" part of aging; they often deal with their symptoms for years before coming to see me even though there are often easy interventions that can dramatically improve these women's quality of life!

Do you feel like school adequately prepared you? Why or why not?
School prepared me to be successful as a PA, but I think there will always be a learning curve when starting a new position.

How do you deal with stress?
In my position I'm able to leave "work at work" (for the most part); balance is key. I don't take call or work weekends, so when I'm home with my family I'm completely focused on them. I enjoy exercise (lifting, spinning and yoga) which also helps me de-stress. Even as a PA student I always found time to go out with friends and fit in work-outs!

Best experience in practice so far?
Day in and day out, knowing that I've improved the quality of life of my patients!

Advice for Pre-PA students and/or current PA students.
Do and learn as much as you can while on rotations so that you have a more broad range of experiences when you go into practice. Also, take out as FEW student loans possible so that you can start your career working because you WANT to, not because you HAVE to!

For more on Tamara you can find her on IG: @pac.in.okc

No comments :

Post a Comment