Meet Ngan, PA-S

Meet Ngan (NON). She's a first-generation Vietnamese-American and the first college graduate in her family. She is part of the inaugural Florida International University PA Class of 2017 located in Miami, FL.

Why PA?
My mother is still befuddled because she swears that I was grossed out by the sight of blood as a child.  But for as long as I can always remember, I’ve always had an interest in medicine and learning. Prior to PA school, I pursued a master’s in public health and worked as an epidemiologist for the health department. Although it was a great experience, I felt like I wanted to do more. My top reason for wanting to become a PA is due to the work-life balance. As a young female, I aspire to have a family one day. Becoming a PA affords me the lifestyle to pursue both medicine and have a family.

Do you have any study tips for PA students?
The best advice is to manage your time well. If you’re commuting on long drives, podcasts are great. I recommend Brian Wallace’s “Physician Assistant Exam Review.” Don’t panic if you haven’t found your rhythm early on! Keep trying. Also, keep in mind that each class may require you to learn differently. I often condensed my 100 slides lectures and converted them to a Word document to study after class. Once I have my notes condensed, I’ll group everything in tables or redraw certain concepts. I always try to make studying fun with lots of colors/highlighters. My favorite tools to use are Zebra Mildliners (available on Amazon) and scented markers (flashback to childhood memories).

How do you deal with stress?
It is so important to make time for yourself (I know, easier said than done). I think almost every student can relate to PA guilt for not studying. My boyfriend lived 4 hours north of me, so any opportunity I had, I’d take my studies and make the drive up to see him. Sometimes that little break is what helps mentally prepare you for the week ahead.

Most challenging class and why?
Pharmacology was rough just given the nature of the beast. It’s pure memorization, and the names just don’t make much sense. My recommendation for current PA students, learn the drug classes AND top 100 commonly prescribed medications. You may have to get creative and have assistance from classmates to find ways to remember the drugs and their indications.

What's a good resource that you've found helpful so far?
I’ve mentioned PA Exam Review earlier. Another favorite is Pance Prep Pearls.  I also highly recommend signing up for a review course. Most subscriptions are good for 2 years. Of course, focus on the details in which you are provided in lectures, but overall, they offer a great review of the high yield information for each system. I’ve also found them to be extremely helpful for PAEA’s End of Rotation exams!

Best experience in PA school so far?
I think my most memorable experience in PA school thus far, was the opportunity to take part of AAPA’s Student Academy House of Delegates and vote on Optimal Team Practice. You would not do the PA profession service just by being a good student and passing your boards. I encourage every student to get involved. Understand the policies that affect PA practice. Leadership doesn’t mean that you have to physically go out to your capital and speak to legislators. You can play your role by simply donating to your state PA Academy or your state’s political action committee. I am more than happy to talk to any student on how they can get more involved in PA policy!

Advice for pre-PA students 
#1 Don’t give up! -- Grades aren’t everything. Find ways to strengthen your application.
#2 Research the programs wisely. Don’t just apply to any program. E-mail the programs, talk to current students (I love the PA Instagram community!), see if the program is a right fit for you!
#3 Get involved. Look into your state academy to see if there are pre-PA student tracks. This is also a great way to connect with others and find yourself a mentor!



For more on Ngan you can find her on IG: @pa_nuggetdoodle

No comments :

Post a Comment